Thank you for your interest in working at the Campaign for Southern Equality (CSE). We are based in Asheville, NC, and work across the South to promote full legal and lived LGBTQ equality.
The Campaign for Southern Equality is an equal opportunity employer and a Living Wage Certified employer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Director of Policy and Programs
About the Campaign for Southern Equality: The Campaign for Southern Equality (CSE) is based in Asheville, North Carolina, and works across the South to promote full LGBTQ equality – both legal and lived. One third of all LGBTQ Americans live in the South. Our community is diverse in race, gender, and class and CSE’s work is grounded in commitments to racial and gender equity and to economic justice.
Across the region, LGBTQ people lack basic legal protections, face robust opposition to our rights and experience health and income disparities. Our community meets every definition of political powerlessness, evidenced most recently by the wave of anti-LGBTQ bills sweeping the South and by a lack of elected representation in local, state and federal offices.
At the same time, LGBTQ Southerners live each day with courage and strength. And every day, we see support for equality growing in the South.
Our work at CSE starts by asking what LGBTQ Southerners need to be safe, to have equal rights, to lead healthy, thriving lives, and to grow into their full potential. Tactically, this requires that we use a range of tools in our work, including direct services, direct action, litigation, and grantmaking in order to respond to acute needs, to support a new generation of LGBTQ leaders, and to build political power over the long term.
About the Director of Policy and Programs Position: This new staff role was developed to respond to the dynamic landscape of LGBTQ and civil rights issues in the South. This leadership position will involve directing CSE’s three core programs – our Southern Equality Fund, LGBTQ Rights Toolkit, and Legal Equality Project – and playing a key role in the overall strategic direction of our work.
We’re looking for a candidate who is a skilled leader with five to seven years of relevant professional experience in campaign, project, or organizational management. This position will involve collaborating with direct service providers, grassroots organizers, attorneys, policy makers, the philanthropic sector, and political organizers; it thus requires an ability to work and communicate effectively in these different sectors.
As a progressive Southern civil rights organization, CSE is active in racial justice and economic justice issues and this position requires demonstrated commitments and fluency in these areas. An advanced degree – or equivalent lived and leadership experience – in public policy, law, public health, social work or other related disciplines is a plus.
- Direct the three core programs of CSE – the Southern Equality Fund, LGBTQ Rights Toolkit and Legal Equality Project. This includes executing strategic priorities, working collaboratively with staff and partners on program operations, supervising and supporting the professional development of program staff, and managing key partnerships;
- Develop and provide guidance on pro-LGBTQ policies that can be implemented in government, employment, education, and health settings;
- Work closely with CSE’s Executive Director to implement the strategic priorities of the organization;
- Work closely with CSE’s Communications Director to implement a digital and media communications strategy for programs, including writing op-eds, blog posts, website copy and other narrative about CSE’s work; and
- Assist with grant writing for programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Demonstrated track record of collaborative work style and of effective campaign/project management;
- Demonstrated track record of delivering excellent results on deadline;
- Demonstrated track record of supervising and supporting the professional development of staff;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Creative and nimble thinker;
- Adaptive/situational leadership skills;
- Sense of humor;
- Understands the South, even if you’re not from here;
- Passionate about LGBTQ rights and committed to building movements that reflect the diversity of the South related to race, class, gender identity, education, geography, and faith;
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and social media platforms.
Additional Skills We’d be Excited to Find:
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Ability to manage and update WordPress websites.
- Have a valid driver’s license or the ability to get one.
This position will be based in Asheville, NC, and will involve regular travel in the South.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the following materials to Jasmine Beach-Ferrara at email@example.com (with Director of Policy and Programs in the subject line):
- A cover letter of up to two pages telling us who you are and what compels you about this position; and
- Your resume or CV.
People of color, women, trans* individuals, and/or members of other underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is a full-time, permanent staff position. The salary range for this position starts at $48,000. Compensation and benefits package are competitive for the sector, commensurate with experience and within CSE’s salary scale.
The Campaign for Southern Equality is committed to the principle of equality in employment and programming. CSE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or veteran status in its hiring practices, programs, services or activities.
We do not currently have any internship openings. However, we welcome individuals who are interested in interning to contact us with an email inquiry and resume/CV. Please email Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (firstname.lastname@example.org).