About the Campaign for Southern Equality
The Campaign for Southern Equality (CSE) is a regional nonprofit organization that promotes full LGBTQ equality across the South. Our work is grounded in commitments to racial, gender, and class equity. We’re working to tell a new story of the LGBTQ South, which is often two things at once: the most hostile to LGBTQ advancement and home to a diverse, powerful array of people doing heroic work. CSE’s work includes policy advocacy, innovative grant-making to grassroots organizers, catalyzing activism among queer artists, education for community health providers, and groundbreaking research strategies. Undergirding all of this is a recognition of the need to foster equity, healing, and resilience.
At CSE, we’re a diverse and dynamic team of Southerners who create change through policy, organizing, direct services, art, and community-building. We care deeply about our work and strive to build a world where everyone can show up as their full selves and share their unique talents. This is reflected in how we function as a staff – team members focus on their core responsibilities while having ample opportunities to participate in rapid response organizing, cross-program collaborations, and equity work across the organization
We are in a period of organizational growth and created this position to be a critical part of the staff team that is supporting this growth.
About the Engagement and Communications Coordinator Position
During this time of exciting growth for CSE, we’ve created this new staff role to work across our Engagement and Communications teams. We’re looking for a person who’s skilled with data and loves to write or a writer who’s interested in data.
We’d love to hear from applicants with one to three years of relevant experience in data entry, database management, online fundraising, and/or digital communications. As a progressive Southern civil rights organization, CSE is active in racial justice and economic justice issues and this position requires demonstrated commitments and fluency in these areas.
This staffer will have the opportunity to grow skill sets in donor engagement, data organization, donor communications, and storytelling.
- Database management, including regular input, auditing and updating of entries in our donor database and assisting with donor outreach and follow-up;
- Online fundraising integration, including exploring new donor engagement tools and strategies; and
- Communications and Digital content creation, such as fundraising emails, social media copy, and marketing materials to tell the story of CSE’s work and engage with our base across multiple platforms.
What We’re Looking For:
- Aptitude and/or experience in data management systems: Ultimately, the position will involve working in eTapestry and Mailchimp – but direct experience in those platforms is not required to start. Comfort in Excel or Google Sheets is a foundation to get you started. You will learn LOTS of processes in this role. A desire to learn are must-haves, and an interest in organizing and improving systems will be helpful.
- Attention to detail, lover of data and organization: You must have the ability to collect and organize large amounts of data/information with a close attention to detail. This position requires precision and consistency and a readiness to course correct as needed.
- Motivation to help build meaningful and effective donor engagement practices: In the next year CSE will be rolling out new strategies for recruiting and retaining donors and advocates – including text-to-give platforms, email automations, online advertising, and more – and we’re looking for your help in integrating these tools into our existing systems. An openness to trying new approaches and learning new tools is a must. You will be an important part of how we build and maintain strong relationships with the people who support our work.
- Strong written communication skills: This position will also be responsible for drafting written communications to donors, including email campaigns, social media content, and direct mail pieces . We’re looking for someone who’s interested in writing and dreaming up creative ways to connect donors to CSE’s work.
- Equity commitments: As someone who helps us tell the story of what we do, you must recognize the ways that race, gender, class and other identities intersect in CSE’s work work.
Nondiscrimination Policy & CSE’s Equity Commitment:
The Campaign for Southern Equality is committed to the principle of equality in employment and programming. CSE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or veteran status in its hiring practices, programs, services or activities.
We value having staff from communities most impacted by our work and aim to build a team diverse in race, class and gender. We especially encourage candidates who are BIPOC; transgender, nonbinary, or gender nonconforming; and people with disabilities to apply.
This position is based in Western North Carolina and will require in-person projects and event support in Asheville, NC. Note that currently the CSE team is working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is a full-time, permanent staff position. The salary range for this position ranges from $34,000 – $43,000. Compensation and benefits package are competitive for the sector – including health insurance, paid time off, 401(k) option with employer match, and other employer-paid benefits including professional development opportunities, wellness stipend, monthly technology stipend, and transgender health benefit.
The person filling this role will have support and opportunity to grow within CSE’s team structure and can progress in terms of responsibilities, leadership and salary as it aligns with their performance and CSE’s staffing needs.
The position will report to CSE’s Director of Relationships & Special Projects, with additional oversight from CSE’s Communications Director.
Send a resume and brief cover letter (3-4 paragraphs) in an email with the subject line, “Engagement and Communications Coordinator Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will respond to all submissions within two weeks. We aim to fill the position by the end of March 2022.