To kick off LGBTQ Pride Month in June, the NC is Ready campaign – which the Campaign for Southern Equality leads alongside our partners at Equality NC – is encouraging advocates from across the state to push their local leaders toward the passage of LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinances.
As of June 7, 2021, EIGHT different communities in North Carolina have come together to pass LGBTQ protections at the local level – including Asheville, Buncombe County, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Durham, Greensboro, Hillsborough, and Orange County.
That covers just about 10% of the people who live in NC, leaving 90% vulnerable to discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and natural hairstyle in key areas of life, including private employment and places of public accommodation like restaurants, businesses, or hospitals. This Pride Month, can we get to 10 ordinances across the state? Take action on our website by clicking here.
A new video from the NC is Ready campaign encourages North Carolinians to take action in their own communities. Please watch and share the video to get the word out about the NC is Ready campaign: